Mining cryptocurrencies and Bitcoin especially have become highly popular all over the world. The rise in interest has even increased the sales of CPU graphic cards and other equipment necessary for mining.
However, it has been in the news that mining can result into damaging the graphics card and negatively impacting its longevity. Is it true? Does mining Bitcoins hurt your computer? This article will guide how much truth is in this statement.
It is very much possible that you will damage the computer by mining Bitcoins but in the following ways listed below:
- Mining Bitcoins require using the computer for a long and steady time. It demands consistency. There are often no breaks involved. Obviously, using the computer constantly would degrade it more. The more its usage, the more the damage since there are no intervals there usually. The computer would need to be replaced more often than normally.
- The computer overheats more than usual. Some components will fail as well. The computer will normally be dustier and more issues will come over. However, this must not be an issue if the parts are well maintained and the CPU is secured in a box.
- Computer mining puts a lot of load on the computer. This may result in a short circuit or even blow the fuse. This would happen even more if the power supply is weak. It has happened a lot of times with people mining using a CPU.
The main issue, however, is the heat that kills. Sufficient amount of airflow is needed with a good case design in order to keep the regulators cool. Most commercial stations have good airflow keeping the systems cool. The temperature of the computer needs to be monitored with maximum effectiveness and efficiency.
A poorly built power supply may be a critical issue as well. A manufacturing defect would not only create an issue with the mining but inherently damage the computer.
However, here are three main facts to take into account:
- Running the miner at full load and top speed would make you notice the potential harms quite fast. If you are already mining this would not usually happen unless the load is increased or you are operating above the actual limit of the hardware. Replace the hardware if something smokes, flashes or the computer doesn’t turn on anymore.
- When the miner is run for over an hour and everything is heated up well, you might notice something detrimental. But, it wouldn’t happen once you are mining. Clean the computer properly and get rid of dust as much as possible. Replace the hardware if needed.
- As a general point of view, you wouldn’t notice the damage for months. The effects are gradual and it takes time to materialize.
Here was whether Bitcoin mining damages the computer or not. It generally does but it can be maintained and kept clean in order to avoid potential harms.
Given the rise in Bitcoin mining, one must also consider the damages associated with it.